Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Politics Schmolitics

2008 was the first time I was eligible to vote in a Presidential Election. It was so exciting to me! I actually voted via mail-in ballot because I was in Virginia at the time and couldn't physically vote in Florida. Regardless, I felt like such an adult and true American!

But....

At the time, I honestly didn't know much about the candidates, except that Obama was a Democrat and John McCain was Republican. My vote was honestly based on who my parents were voting for.

Lame, I know...

and that is why I'm writing this post. I have realized this time around that to vote is a HUGE privilege, and I should take it more seriously.

Who I voted for back then is irrelevant because this post is really is not to discuss politics. I don't even know who I'm voting for yet in the primaries...but I can say that I'm doing my research. It is somewhat daunting and overwhelming, so I can understand why a lot of people just kind of ignore politics altogether and/or don't vote at all...but I think that is doing a great disservice to yourself and your country.

If you really think about it, the FREEDOM and privilege to vote is such a blessing and gift to the American people and one that is not available to many many citizens of countries around this world. This is a freedom many people can only hope of having one day - and one that many people may never have in their lifetime.

This year, I am not going to take this freedom for granted, and I challenge you to do the same.

Do some research and make your vote count!

http://www.2012presidentialelectionnews.com/whos-running-for-president-in-2012/



No comments: