Sunday, March 25, 2012

P.U. You stink!

So, a couple of weeks ago at book club (where we don't read books), us girls all got to talking about cosmetics and foods and how nothing really seems safe to use or ingest these days. American companies don't seem to care too much about the long term health of its citizens/customers...just how much they can grow their wallets. It was quite overwhelming to be honest, but it really got me to thinking a lot more about what I actually choose to put on and in my body on a regular basis. I began reading labels on everything, not just food. It'll take baby steps and persistence to make healthy changes, but I'm willing - especially since this is a way to honor God with how I treat my body/temple. (My husband is getting on board too!)

One of the most controversial cosmetics is antiperspirants/deodorants. Biggest reason is because of the aluminum found in antiperspirants. Although research apparently doesn't show that there are any immediate adverse effects of aluminum on the body, it has been suspected as a link/cause to Alzheimer's and breast cancer. The health experts will tell you that it is perfectly safe to use antiperspirants, but I don't think I want to take that risk if I can help it... Yeah this is about to get personal haha!

So, the little researcher in me got on the Internet and found a recipe for homemade deodorant. I did use this Himalayan sea salt bar that Kyle had bought back in college. It worked, but stung really bad. I mean it was salt after all. :-) So I decided to try a different route.

One person that I read about on a blog just used straight up baking soda, so I tried that (you can put it on dry or mix a little with water in your palm to make a paste and just apply with hands or a makeup sponge). That prevented odor just as well, but it was kinda gritty and made my armpits itchy at times.

So I found this one recipe here: http://littlehouseinthesuburbs.com/2009/03/quick-stick-deodorant.html Which uses only four natural ingredients (of which I only used three - I skipped out on the essential oil since they are so costly and I didn't think it was that necessary since the coconut oil would create a nice fragrance by itself.)

The only thing in it is baking soda, corn starch, and coconut oil!


I just made it yesterday and used it for the first time today. It seems to have worked just fine! Overall I just feel really good using something in which I know and understand what each ingredient is, and also that this was something I made right in my own kitchen!

I encourage you to start reading and researching the products that you use everyday and pick one or two things that you can change or try differently. It's quite amazing that a body wash or deodorant can have over 20 ingredients of which I can't even pronounce, but you can make something on your own that is much healthier for you in the long run and only uses three ingredients. It just feels so much better putting less junk on my body, knowing that it will serve the same purpose as the store bought factory produced stuff.

Wow. I'm totally turning into a hippy...

No comments: