Tuesday, November 01, 2011

Afrikids

This past week, I was blessed with such a sweet gift that I wanted to share with whoever actually reads this thing.

If any of you recall, a couple weeks ago I kept posting on facebook and twitter a message about voting for a gentleman (Nick Eastcott) who works with an organization called Afrikids. There was a facebook competition for selected charities to have the opportunity to win money for their organization. The vote was between three different NGOs, and the winner of that vote would go to the finals round.

I heard about this organization through a third party, and after looking into what they actually do I wanted to support them by getting as many ppl possible to vote for Nick Eastcott. Hence, the many tweets and facebook wall posts. Thank you to anyone who voted because Nick won and is currently in the final round to win! (Praying for a victory!) Here is a link to more info about the competition - http://www.afrikids.org/main.php?menuItemId=152&option=displaystory&storytype=6_

Here's a very brief overview of Afrikids from their website:

AfriKids is a Child Rights Organisation, which works alongside indigenous communities in Ghana to improve the quality of life for rejected and vulnerable children.
AfriKids specifically targets the root causes of the children's problems, by improving community support services and by providing access to basic education and primary health care...

(Visit Afrikids website here to learn more about them! http://www.afrikids.org/) Follow them on Twitter and Facebook!!! @Afrikids 

I saw that one of their core projects is to help eradicate child slavery/trafficking - something I am very passionate about if you don't know me. So I was on board right away!

Apparently, word got to Ghana of my incessant tweeting to get people to vote for Nick ;-), and a child in one of Afrikids' sponsored foster homes drew me a picture as a thank you!! I was so incredibly overwhelmed by this sweet gift by this sweet child. I do not know anything about her, except that her name is Gifty.

I wanted to share the picture she drew for me!





The internet is truly an amazing tool for communication. And I am thankful that I was able to use it to help further a great cause.

Thank you Afrikids for this sweet blessing! Look forward to keeping up to date and supporting all that you are doing for the sweet children and people of Ghana!






Here is the facebook page for info about the competition (voting now closed) - http://www.facebook.com/worldofdifference?sk=app_220502284678145



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks so much for spreading the word! Always great to make contact with people who believe in what we do. Thanks for all your support. All of us here at AfriKids. X