Monday, November 28, 2011

Thankful for the Pain?

The following words that I have written (which are actually mostly from Ann Voskamp...) contain truths that are hard for me to understand and obey, but I am slowly learning as I grow in Grace. I can only imagine how someone who isn't a Christ follower would feel about these words. Probably would just call me crazy that I love and follow a God who in their eyes "allows bad things to happen to good people", and write him off as a mean guy in the sky...or maybe just laugh at what they'd call a figment of my imagination. But that's okay...I'm secure in my faith and in the God of Grace. There is ALWAYS grace enough for those who don't yet believe. Hope is ever-waiting for them, never giving up on them....

Ok so here it is:  



I think all of us can agree that it is very hard to give thanks for the things that hurt in life. Why on God's green earth would we give thanks for pain? But as believers, we are called to give thanks in ALL things. 


Rejoice always, pray continually, give thanks in all circumstances; for this is God’s will for you in Christ Jesus.

I Thessalonians 5:16-18 



(Say what?! It's God's will for me in Christ Jesus to give thanks for pain, hurt, disappointment, and the difficulties of this life? Really? How does that make any sense?)

Seems to me that if we are to give thanks in all things - even the hard, painful, hurt-filled things - then surely God truly has a purpose behind everything we perceive to be bad. His grace can be IS present in these things too, but sometimes it just takes time and a different perspective in order to see His goodness in them. 



Ann Voskamp writes:

"All God makes is good. Can it be that, that which seems to oppose the will of God actually is used of Him to accomplish the will of God? That which seems evil only seems so because of perspective,  the way the eyes see the shadows. Above the clouds, light never stops shining..."

"That which seems evil, is it a cloud to bring rain, to bring a greater good to the whole of the world? Who would ever know the greater graces of comfort and perseverance, mercy and forgiveness, patience and courage, if no shadows fell over a life?"



(From: One Thousand Gifts)


I'll be honest - I am afraid for the very hard and painful times that will come in my life, and acknowledging this command is very scary. Yes, I've endured a painful situation here and there in my 24 years of living, but I know that there is more LIFE yet to happen. And the older I get, the more aware I become of the realities of pain in this broken world.


However, I'm learning that we might not always understand reasons for pain on this side of eternity, but not understanding it in this lifetime is no reason to stop trusting in the God who cares...because He DOES care beyond understanding!!!! 


If we learn anything from hard times, I'd say let it be this (again from Ann Voskamp - can you tell I am enamored with her anointed writing?):

"Who deserves any grace?

Here dies another day
During which I have had eyes, ears, hands
And the great world round me;

And with tomorrow begins another.
Why am I allowed two...? -G. K. Chesterton 



"Why doesn't anyone ask that why question?..."

Why this unfathomable grace?

"When I realize that it is not God who is in my debt, but I who am in His great debt, then doesn't ALL become gift?" -AV




I don't know if this post really holds or conveys any complete thoughts...I have a hard time with staying focused - there's so much going on in this little heart of mine.

But I can say that I am beginning to see that if God's Word tells me to give thanks in all things...then maybe there is just something so AMAZING that is to be discovered in a life of full, continual Thanksgiving. 


And I want to find it.










*I highly recommend buying Ann Voskamp's book - One Thousand Gifts
It is blessing my life tremendously, and I know it will bless yours too.


No comments: