Thursday, December 22, 2011

Bah Humbug

So why is it that every Christmas we as Christians have to be reminded not to let Jesus get buried beneath all the shopping, parties, gift giving, eating, celebrating, etc. etc.?

Of course there is nothing wrong with those things...but why do we always need the reminding? Why don't we just "GET IT" for once. Don't you think by now we'd understand that it's all about that sweet little baby?

We give gifts to our loved ones, to our neighbors, to our co-workers, and heck sometimes to ourselves...but what do we give to Jesus on Christmas? 

It's all for him anyways right? I know it makes his heart smile when we show our love to one another through giving...but I just know there's something more that He desires...and I think you do too.
I know that the way we Americans do Christmas is very cultural and based on tradition...but it doesn't always have to be. I am honestly tempted to break some (or all) of those traditions so that I'll finally grasp that it's all for Emmanuel. 

You're right, how very Bah-Humbug of me...but that's the thing. It's only in the eyes of our society that I'll appear like the Grinch if I don't buy, buy, buy, and give, give, give. But you know what, stuff never satisfies anyone...no matter how hard we try to convince ourselves that it does. 

We've made Christmas all about ourselves (again...and again)...and I guess that's why we always need to be reminded of that little baby...

I guess I'm just ready to try something different...aren't you?



‘For I was hungry, and you gave Me something to eat; I was thirsty, and you gave Me something to drink; I was a stranger, and you invited Me in; naked, and you clothed Me; I was sick, and you visited Me; I was in prison, and you came to Me.’ “Then the righteous will answer Him, ‘Lord, when did we see You hungry, and feed You, or thirsty, and give You something to drink? ‘And when did we see You a stranger, and invite You in, or naked, and clothe You? ‘When did we see You sick, or in prison, and come to You?’ “The King will answer and say to them, ‘Truly I say to you, to the extent that you did it to one of these brothers of Mine, even the least of them,you did it to Me. 

Matt. 25:35-40


Religion that God our Father accepts as pure and faultless is this: to look after orphans and widows in their distress and to keep oneself from being polluted by the world...

James 1:27



No comments: